is centred on the Catholic values of tolerance and inclusion. As a Catholic University, Newman is proud to welcome staff and students of all religions and backgrounds. Our Catholic ethos means that:
- we proudly stand in the tradition of Catholic education that values the process of respectful dialogue as a means of reaching new knowledge through teaching, scholarship and research
- we aim to respect and encourage the individual integrity of everyone who is a part of the life of the University
- we will strive to be an inclusive community which emphasises the Christian practice of hospitality, cherishing the diverse traditions represented at Newman University
- we are committed to promoting the Christian virtue of justice in our neighbouring community, nationally and internationally, and to seeking external partners that support this vision
- we place worship and reflection at the spiritual centre of our life and work
- we work to foster a sense of vocation in students and staff, so that we are able to take responsibility for the flourishing of our world.
We are named after our patron, Blessed John Henry Newman
, who was a Cardinal of the Catholic Church and Beatified in September 2010 by Pope Benedict XVI.
Newman has an excellent record for the quality of its courses and historically has one of the best graduate employment rates of UK colleges and universities. In recent years very positive inspection reports have been received from the QAA and OFSTED, including an 'outstanding' grade, the highest possible, for its latest inspection for Employment Based Initial Teacher Training (Graduate Teacher Programme).
Reports frequently highlight the positive experience of students and individual attention offered by Newman’s staff.
Situated on the outskirts of south west Birmingham, Newman's campus is based in Bartley Green, some 8 miles from the city centre and overlooks Bartley reservoir and the Worcestershire countryside beyond. Its location makes it convenient for access to both the M5 and M42 motorways.
As a student-centred University, Newman's challenging yet supportive learning environment will enable you to engage with theories and concepts, discuss ideas with your tutors and become independent learners and creative thinkers able to make a difference in the world.