As part of its dynamic research policy and supported by the possibilities offered by the Flemish Government through the resources of the Special Research Fund (BOF), the Faculty of Science is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the Department of Physics for a
Research professor (TTZAPBOF) in the area of quantitative model-based tomography
The assignment consists of lecturing duties, scientific research and academic service to society. During a period, limited to five years (duration of the temporary appointment in tenure track), scientific research will be the main activity.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of model-based quantitative tomographic image reconstruction at the Vision Lab. To this end, you will develop new reconstruction algorithms for various tomographic imaging applications, including but not limited to electron tomography, x-ray tomography, terahertz tomography, phase contrast tomography, and atom probe tomography. Your research will lead to a better understanding of the underlying problems that are shared between these techniques.
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You will actively pursue scientific collaboration with strategic research centers such as imec and Flanders make.
- You will supervise doctoral students.
- You will offer scientific services: among others you take part in scientific commissions within the University of Antwerp and offer external services to the international scientific community (e.g. paper reviewing).
- You will be assigned limited lecturing duties, amounting to a maximum of 3 ECTS per semester (after 5 years increased to maximum 4.5 ECTS per semester). These duties will be agreed upon with the educational committee of Physics of the Faculty of Sciences.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in Exact Science or Engineering Science.
- You have a minimum of 2 years experience on Postdoctoral level at the closing date of the vacancy.
- You have an international academic CV and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research in the broader field according to the domain involved.
- You have a proven track record of acquiring external funding (national and international).
- You have specific expertise in the algorithmic and computational aspects of tomography, based on deep understanding of the physics of the imaging process combined with solid mathematical insight and efficient software implementation skills.
- You have a proven track record of successful national and international academic and industrial collaboration.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You can meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
- a full-time position as a lecturer in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- in case of equal qualifications, priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science. This priority is not automatically and unconditionally, as the evaluation will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate;
- the date of appointment will be 1 October 2018;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging from € 4.171,55 - € 6.149,03;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing 25 March 2018. The application form must be completed, including a detailed research proposal(mandatory) for the next five years (approx. 5 000 words) and a report of your previous scientific research activities (max. 5 000 words). In addition, you add two abstracts of the scientific content of the research plan – a scientific abstract and an abstract in layman's terms –maximum 500 words (or max. 4000 characters). All documents must be submitted in English.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Jan Sijbers (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 8911.
- Further information regarding the special research status can be obtained from Dr. Tim Engels, Head of the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 30 12).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.