As a member of Leibniz Association, the Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics, Leibniz Institute in Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V., engages in project-oriented research in applied mathematics, particularly in applied analysis and applied stochastics, aiming at contributing to the solution of complex economic, scientific, and technological problems. WIAS approaches this aim integrally, pursuing the entire problem-solving process from the interdisciplinary modeling to the theoretical mathematical analysis of the model to concrete numerical simulations.
Research at WIAS focuses on the following application areas:
- Nano- and optoelectronics
- Optimization and control of technological processes
- Phase transitions and multifunctional materials
- Flow and transport processes in continua
- Conversion, storage and distribution of energy
- Random phenomena in nature and economy