The Otto von Guericke University Magdeburg was founded in 1993 and is one of the youngest German universities. It was formed in a merger of the existing Technical University, the Teacher Training College and the Medical School. The University now comprises 9 faculties and almost 13,800 students and is becoming increasingly important as a centre of education and research. It plays an important role in the regional capital Magdeburg which is developing into a centre of business, scholarship and culture. The University is a member of many organisation and committees.
The University is named after Otto von Guericke (1602-1686), Magdeburg's famous son,whose pioneering research into the vacuum made him well-known beyond Germany. The University aspires to teach and research in the tradition of this great scientist, philosopher and engineer and to continue with his humanist work. At the University of Magdeburg students can choose from 72 degree courses in various areas of study and specialisation. There are also many possibilities to combine different subjects across the faculties. Students find ideal study conditions: modern laboratories, experimental workshops and clinics with high-performance computer technology as well as an excellent ratio between staff and students.
The offer of a sound, thorough education combining a high level of theoretical expertise with practical experience makes Magdeburg an attractive alternative. Magdeburg also attracts students because it can offer single and twin-bedded accommodation in its halls of residence. In the past few years research at the University has gone through a decisive change from applied to innovative pure research. Among the many areas represented the neurosciences, immunology, non-linear systems, new materials, processes and products, computational visualistics, social transformation as well as communication and culture deserve a special mention. With its research the University hopes to make a significant contribution to economic and social development in Magdeburg and the surrounding area.
The recent acquisitions of the arts and social sciences together with economics and management have already made their decisive mark on our research profile. Affiliated institutes and the University's Technology Transfer Centre act as links between academia and industry. They facilitate businesses' access to the University's research resources while simultaneously promoting innovation. The University's Medical School, located in the south of Magdeburg is the second of the University's sites. It provides the base for 1.300 trainee medics as well as health care for the citizens of Saxony Anhalt. The Medical School can provide treatment for a broad range of serious and complex complaints. It has 1.100 beds and is the largest hospital in the Magdeburg area. It handles as many as 45,000 in-patients annually as well as countless out-patients. In the past few years the Medical Schools' various clinics and centres have focussed increasingly on specialised patient care. A special emphasis is laid on the close cooperation between teaching staff and students.