With the founding of Brandenburg University of Applied Sciences in April 1992, Brandenburg upon Havel became a university town for the first time in its history of over a 1,000 years. In just five years the site of former barracks in Brandenburg's military district was transformed into today's campus with renovated buildings alongside newly constructed buildings. Brandenburg University offers attractive, cutting-edge degree courses in three disciplines: engineering, business administration and economics as well as information technology and media.
Nearly 3,000 students are enrolled at Brandenburg University, studying in modern teaching facilities and laboratories in a leafy campus setting. The range of courses on offer is constantly being further developed. All courses lead to the internationally recognized degrees bachelor and master. Students particularly appreciate the project-orientated courses on offer. Course content is defined in co-operation with partners in industry, commerce and public administration from around the region, giving students the chance to get to know their future field of work hands on right from the start. The university promotes with particular emphasis international exchange in teaching, research and study. Brandenburg University has more than 50 partnerships with universities across Europe as well as overseas.
The main building of the former barracks, built in 1881, today houses the university administration along with the Department of Business and Management. The stables were converted into a modern library and what was once the officers' dining quarters is now the auditorium. These old red-brick buildings together with the three new buildings each bearing a yellow clinker exterior form a harmonious ensemble that makes the Brandenburg University campus one of the most attractive in Germany.