The Berlin Mathematical School (BMS) is a joint graduate school of the mathematics departments of the three major Berlin universities,Â TU Berlin,Â FU Berlin, andÂ HU Berlin. We offer
- a uniform setting for graduate studies (from Bachelor to Ph.D.) in mathematics in Berlin,
- a coordinated, highly diverseÂ course programÂ in English (Phase I, from bachelor to qualifying exams in two years),Â German language skills are not necessary,
- access to allÂ math research groupsÂ in Berlin for a PhD (Phase II), in particular, to theÂ DFG Research Training Groups (Graduiertenkollegs)Â and other ongoing research projects,
- intensiveÂ mentoringÂ during the whole duration of studies, and
- support in non mathematical issues ranging from housing to visas and from child care to language courses.
We invite excellent mathematics students from Berlin, Germany, Europe and all over the world to join BMS - and to make good use of the ample opportunities offered by the rich and diverse mathematics teaching and research environment.
Depending on the individual background, admission is to Phase I (typically with a bachelor) or directly to Phase II (for example, for students holding a master/diploma).
Besides striving for excellence, BMS is actively pursuing the goals of internationality, gender equality and diversity: We set the explicit goal to have half of our students come from outside Germany, and to reach a 50 percent representation of female students. The BMS actively and explicitly welcomes and embraces diversity. We will take measures to create an environment that is accepting, liberal, and supportive for its students, faculty and employees. The city ofÂ Berlin, with its tradition of multicultural openness, its good relations to the East and the West, and its rich cultural and academic life, provides an excellent setting for this. We are looking forward to your visit to Berlin!
John M. SullivanÂ (Chair)
JĂĽrg Kramer (Deputy Chair)
Konrad Polthier (Deputy Chair)
The BMS was founded in the summer of 2006. Since November 2006, the BMS obtains funding as a Graduate School in the framework of the GermanÂ "Initiative for Excellence".