The University of Luxembourg is a multilingual, international research University.
The University of Luxembourg is seeking to make an appointment for the Confucius Institute (CI) for the following position:
Luxembourg Director of the Confucius Institute (m/f)
- Réf.: AC-170301
- 24 months fixed-term contract, (CDD)
- Employee status
- Administrative Position
The University of Luxembourg has signed an agreement with the CI headquarters for the establishment of a CI within the University. Every CI works under the cooperation of the local University and a Chinese partner university. The implementation partner of the University of Luxembourg is Fudan University.
The CI will be established in the first semester of 2017. The Luxembourg Director will work hand in hand with the Chinese Director and will report to a Board of Trustees.
The principal remit for the Confucius Institute at the University of Luxembourg is the promotion and development of Chinese language and culture within the University and across Luxembourg throughout the sector of education, business and culture.
The key objectives for the Confucius Institute are:
- Teach Chinese language and culture
- Promote Chinese language teaching in public schools in Luxembourg
- Organize Chinese proficiency tests and certification for Chinese Language teachers
- Provide information and consultative services to stakeholders on China’s education and culture
- Organize cultural events, public lectures, exhibitions and performances
- Design and carry out language and cultural exchange activities between the two countries
The Luxembourg Director, in close collaboration with the Chinese Director and the board of trustees, will have an overall responsibility over the entire process of the new CI establishment, the drafting of the CI’s strategy and the overall management of the CI.
- Regularly interact with the Vice-President for International Relations, the International Relations Office, the Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education and the university language center
- Lead the establishment and launching of the CI
- Provide overall strategic direction and planning for the development of the CI, including its budgets, marketing, staffing, programmes and annual working plan
- Play a leading role in building relationships with relevant public and private sector organisations in Luxembourg and China
- Develop an attractive high quality programme of events and Chinese language programmes
- Set up a marketing strategy and publicity programme for the CI and its events
- Promote the international reputation of the CI at the University of Luxembourg through participation in local, national and international CI events and by developing partnerships with CI in research-intensive universities internationally
- Provide strategic and operational leadership in the day to day running of the CI
- Line-manage the CI staff and ensure its effective development
- Work closely with the CI Chinese Director
- Develop successful interaction with relevant external organisations as well as stakeholders within the university
- Represent the CI as appropriate at local, national and international events, as key ambassador for the CI
- Master degree in a relevant discipline – Chinese studies, language and/or culture, , PhD in Chinese studies would be a plus
- Very good knowledge of standard Chinese
- Good knowledge of contemporary Chinese culture and society
- Ability, drive and organisational skills to lead the development of the CI
- Ability to work across international boundaries in a University context
- Diplomacy and excellent communications skills
- Experience of managing and mentoring staff and providing leadership to others
- Experience of working with a range of public and private sector organisations in the field of engagement with China
- Excellent knowledge of English, German and/or French
Please apply online until March, 31st, 2017.
Applications will be handled in strict confidence.
The University offers highly competitive salaries and is an equal opportunity employer.