|The Faculty of Sciences, research institute Institute for Materials Research, research group Applied and Analytical Chemistry of Hasselt University seeks a (m/f)|
Tenured academic staff / Tenure track lecturer Chemistry of sustainable processes
The research group TANC takes a central position in the research of the department of chemistry and the Institute imo-imomec within UHasselt. The group investigates and develops expertise in chemical analysis of materials (inorganic, organic, biogenic, polymeric) in the main research fields of imo-imomec as well as CMK. An important part of the activities of TANC comprises research to support innovation of or provide services to (local) companies.
Participation in the various teaching assignments of the department of Chemistry in various curricula of the UHasselt:
Activities in the organisation, evaluation and innovation of education in chemistry in accordance to the vision and strategy of the department of chemistry at UHasselt.
- Coordination and lecturing courses in general chemistry and chemistry in an environmental and sustainability context.
- Organisation and supervision of research internships
- Promotorship and supervision of doctoral students
Within the group of Applied and Analytical Chemistry (TANC), the candidate investigates chemical innovations related to sustainable materials and processes that contribute to a CO2 neutral or circular economy. The emphasis is on the development and application of chemical analysis methods.
- The research activities of the candidate entails a complementary research domain of imo-imomec (Institute for Materials Research) and CMK (Centre for Environmental Sciences) about ‘chemistry of sustainable processes’. The research will strengthen imo-imomec’s activities on sustainable chemistry and materials. Moreover, it will be a necessary chemical complement of CMK’s activities about the valorisation of rest streams into materials with an added value.
- More specifically, chemical/microbiological processes (such as degradation, pyrolysis, leaching) will be monitored and optimized from a chemical analytical perspective. The research can also deal with how the products of these processes can be chemically functionalized to form materials that for sustainable applications. At the moment, examples of these applications comprise purification of water or air, and active soil improvement.
- In his/her new function, the candidate is active in applying for external research funding, in the various channels aiming at a good balance between fundamental and applied research, including projects to support innovation of industrial partners.
- As a staff member of the group TANC, the candidate engages to take responsibility in analytical services to external partners and innovation supporting research as both activites are being coordinated by this group.
- PhD in chemistry, bio-engineering (or equivalent)
- You have proven leadership skills and management experience.
- you are an excellent teacher, motivated to teach students both knowledge and skills, in line with the vision of UHasselt
- You have proven expertise in environmental-chemical processes.
- Academic staff must meet the statutory language requirements for knowledge of the language of instruction (Dutch). If necessary, Hasselt University offers concrete, tailored support measures to help achieve the required language level.
- You are involved in and/or are willing to develop partnerships inside and outside the department/institutes. You are motivated to elaborate both fundamental and applied research in line with the vision of the department.
- You are an excellent researcher with a strong research record in your discipline, at an (at least) postdoctoral level
- You communicate clearly and appropriately with different stakeholders.
We will offer:
- either an appointment as a lecturer in the tenure track system during 5 years. This will lead to an immediate permanent contract as a senior lecturer, if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved, based on previously set public grading criteria.
- or a fulltime appointment as a lecturer or higher. In case of a first appointment as a member of the academic staff, the Board of Directors of the University can decide on a temporary appointment for a period up to 3 years. This will lead to a permanent contract if the Board of Directors favorably assesses the party involved.
Preselection based on CV. Interview with and test lesson/presentation by the selected candidates.
You can only apply online up to and including 18 April 2017.
Content job responsibilities:
Prof. dr. Marlies VAN BAEL, +32-11-268307, firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. dr. Dirk VANDERZANDE, +32-11-268321, email@example.com
Prof. dr. Peter ADRIAENSENS, +32-11-268396, firstname.lastname@example.org
More about working at Hasselt University? Check www.uhasselt.be/vacancies!